I came across this book today and it made me laugh.
In case some of you haven’t read this classic tale, Hamlet includes:
- At least one ghost.1
- The phrases “uncle/father” and “aunt/mother”.2
- Mental instability.3
- Long soliloquies.
- Thoughts of suicide.4
- An emotionally abusive boyfriend.5
- Actual suicide.
- A gravedigger.
- A human skull.
- A conversation with said human skull.
- Iambic pentameter.
While I’ll not quarrel with the book’s assertion that Shakespeare can be fun, I’m not certain that Hamlet for Kids is really the best way to roll.
- Which actually may not exist.
- Though of course in some cultures this will raise not an eyebrow.
- But very elegant thoughts of suicide.
- Or at the very least, mixed signals.
- Or more properly: uncle/patri-cide.