Stolen from Adam.
1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
I enrolled in and completed a graduate-level course. I assisted my friend in proposing to his ladyfriend. I sang lead at a gig. I rode Tower of Terror 14 times in a row. Went to a parade in Chicago.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Yes, and yes.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes. My friend Carissa had a baby boy. I haven’t met him yet, but I hope to very soon.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not that I’m aware of, but one of Ashley’s CF friends passed away shortly after transplant. She is the first CF/Tx person I’ve met who has passed away. Also, Eva passed away, and though I never met her, I cried.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Well, 10.10.10, for obvious reasons. Also 8.9.10 for pretty much the same reason.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting an A in my grad class.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I tried to poop once but only farted.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had a cold once or twice. As far as injuries, only some scratches from dust-ups with the cats.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
We adopted a cat, Nermal. He makes me laugh at least once every day.
And Ashley and I bought ourselves a Wii1 for Christmas. It’s only been a week or so, but I love it. Interestingly, I love playing the old-school Nintendo games more than anything new.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
As always, Ashley’s compassion and kindness constantly astound me. She deserves the 2010 Full-Time Buddha Award.2 Also, a fellow CF-partner I know from across the pond. Her husband has had a rough time post-transplant, and I find her behavior through the whole thing commendable, even down to her anger with the whole injustice of the disease.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Pretty much every single person I encountered in any parking lot, but especially the lot at the local grocery store.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent. Food. New car.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I can’t tell you that yet.
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Uhm…I tend not to associate songs with years, but with emotions. Since this was a fairly emotionally-even year for yours truly, I doubt any song will strongly remind me of 2010.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier.
b) thinner or fatter? The same.
c) richer or poorer? Pretty much the same.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
As always, I wish I’d spent more time writing. Also: your mom.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Being negative. Thinking negatively.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
21. Did you fall in love in 2010?
Yes. Every day, as cheesy as that sounds.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Lost. But Raising Hope is also really good.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No….well, all the people who have the know-how to build a lightsaber and haven’t, you’re all on my list!
24. What was the best book you read?
I re-read Infinite Jest. If you want to count new-reads, that’d be Mason & Dixon by Thomas Pynchon.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
That singing lead takes guts and is way more work that singing backup and/or playing any instrument.
26. What did you want and get?
27. What did you want and not get?
A FRIGGIN LIGHTSABER!!!
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
The Social Network. Though Red is also awesome.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 35, and it was the first Sunday of the NFL regular season. So after I played a little gig at the town festival, I went home, made chili and watched football.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A LIGHTSABER A LIGHTSABER A LIGHTSABER A LIGHTSABER A LIGHTSABER!!!!
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
32. What kept you sane?
Ashley. My friends. Music. Books.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Not a year goes by – not a year – in which I don’t wish I’d have made out with Naomi Watts.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Both candidates for Ohio governor went negative right out of the gate. I voted for neither of them, and sent them both emails telling them why. A close second: the Tea Party makes me nervous, but not for the reasons you might think.
35. Who did you miss?
I miss David Foster Wallace.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Several of the people I met in my class are pretty cool.
37. Tell us a valuable life-lesson you learned in 2010.
The house can be messy for a little while. Cleanliness isn’t as important as happiness.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
The book of love has music in it.
In fact, that’s where music comes from.
Some of it’s just transcendental,
Some of it’s just really dumb.
I love it when you sing to me.
You can sing me anything.
- The Nintendo Wii is a patent and registered trademark of Nintendo, Co., Ltd., founded in 1889 with headquarters in Kyoto, Japan.
- Said award doesn’t really exist.